The Service Operation phase of the Service Lifecycle is concerned with ensuring that services operate within agreed parameters. When service interruptions do occur, Service Operation is charged with restoring service as quickly as possible and with minimizing the impact to the business.
Service Operation is the only lifecycle phase in which value is actually realized by customers. Whereas all other phases of the Service Lifecycle contribute to and enable value, it is only experienced during Service Operation.
Service Operation also adds business value by:
- Ensuring that services are operated within expected performance parameters
- Restoring services quickly in the event of service interruption
- Minimizing impact to the business in the event of service interruption
- Providing a focal point for communication between users and the Service Provider organization
Concepts and Models
Because Service Operation is the first lifecycle phase in which the Service Provider organization must respond to rather than plan for and drive user and customer demand, balance is difficult to maintain. Accordingly, ITIL® emphasizes the importance of striving to achieve and maintain balance during Service Operation in the form of specific balances between :
- Reactive and Proactive Focus
- Internal and External Focus
- Cost and Quality
- Stability and Flexibility
During Service Operation, the importance and criticality of communication is especially acute. ITIL stresses the importance of communication :
- Between users and the IT Service Provider
- Between customers and the IT Service Provider
- Between different processes, functions, teams, etc. within the IT Service Provider
- Between the IT Service Provider and its suppliers
An incident is any occurrence which causes or may cause interruption or degradation to an IT Service.
A problem is the unknown underlying cause of one or more incidents. A problem is NOT just a particularly serious incident.
An error is the known underlying cause of one or more incidents.
A known error is the known cause of an incident for which a workaround also exists.
An event is any change of state of an infrastructure or other item which has significance for the delivery of a service.
**Source by wikipedia**
To Become Certified For Exin ITIL Please Visit This Link ;